
On Saturday I volunteered at BYU's annual Rex Lee Run. Jessica and I went and arrived at the track at 7 am. It was early and cold. First, I started out sitting at a table doing registration. Then one of the workers in charged asked for one of us to come help with something else. So I followed some people around for a little having no idea what I was going to do.
I then got into a back of a truck and we drove around laying down cones to mark the path for the runners. It was freezing cold driving around in the back. We were frantically driving about and I still didn't know what we were doing half the time. And the guy driving was in a hurry, so he was driving pretty crazy with us in the back. Then we drove down rape hill. For those of you who don't know what rape hill is, it is a walking path up to campus. So we were driving down this hill went is only meant for bikes and pedestrians and he wasn't taking it very slow either. It was pretty fun and probably something I will never be able to do again.
After setting up tons of cones I got dropped off at a water station. This water station was the only one that both the 5K and 10K run come past, so it was really busy. We filled up tons of cups before anyone came but they ran out fast. I had to hurriedly fill up tons of cups. My back and thumb were both hurting. Before the rush I was able to stand in front of the table and hand cups off to people. The first cup I had out spilled all other the runner. I felt pretty bad, but it was also funny. I had to learn the finesse of handing off a cup of water to someone running by.
It was really fun and hectic. I was really glad I went.
Way to get involved and give service. Proud of you. I always am.
ReplyDelete